How Long Do Dental Crowns Last?
September 27, 2020
If you have a broken tooth in Hillsboro, a dental crown is one of the best ways to restore the look and function of your smile. These custom-made tooth-shaped caps are designed to fit snugly over damaged, weakened, or misshapen teeth to protect and improve them. While it won’t last forever, you can help your dental crown last for many years to come with a few simple precautions and healthy habits! Here’s what you need to know about dental crown lifespan in Hillsboro and how to care for yours to make the most out of this reliable restoration.
Factors That Influence the Lifespan of a Dental Crown
Thanks to their close, precise fit and the reliable dental cement that holds it in place, dental crowns can easily last 15 years or more. However, there are factors that can loosen or damage it after five years or less. The lifespan of your dental crown will rely heavily on:
- Bad chewing habits: Pressure from regularly chewing on hard objects like pen caps, ice, and your fingernails will wear down your crown’s strength and potentially damage it. Issues like bruxism (teeth grinding) can also weaken your crown.
- Oral hygiene practices: While your dental crown isn’t susceptible to cavities, the tooth underneath it is. Tooth decay can loosen your crown and lead to serious dental issues.
- Position in the mouth: Since different parts of your mouth are subject to different amounts of pressure, a dental crown’s position in your mouth will influence its lifespan. A crown in the back of your mouth will likely wear down faster than one closer to the front of your smile.
Top Dental Crown Care Tips
Thankfully, there are plenty of ways you can help keep your dental crown looking and feeling its best, including:
- Brushing your teeth for two minutes twice a day.
- Flossing daily with high-quality waxed floss.
- Limiting or avoiding hard, crunchy, or sticky foods.
- Visiting your dentist twice a year for regular checkups and cleanings.
When to Have Your Dental Crown Replaced
Your dentist will inspect your dental crown during each of your checkups to monitor its strength and integrity. A weakened or damaged crown can increase your risk of cavities or dental infections, so it’s important to visit your dentist every six months. Between visits, you should keep an eye on how your crown looks and feels. If it ever becomes loose or uncomfortable, or if you begin to experience tooth sensitivity or pain while chewing, you should talk to your dentist right away.
Dental crowns are a reliable, long-lasting way to keep your smile healthy and intact. With the proper care, yours can last 15-25 years or more!
About the Practice
The Dentists at Orenco Station is proud to care for the smiles of Hillsboro, OR and the surrounding communities with custom restorations made of high-quality materials. They offer dental crowns carefully crafted from metals, metal fused to porcelain, and all-porcelain for lasting results anywhere in your mouth. With state-of-the-art technology and a friendly, relaxing atmosphere, they strive to make dental care as pleasant as possible. To learn more about dental crowns, they can be contacted via their website or at (503) 640-4262.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.